Friday, June 28, 2013
Frame relay and leased phone lines are two of the physical connection media for setting up the connections.
Advantages of Frame Relay over Leased Phone Line
- Frame relay is a kind of the standardized WAN (wide area network) technology for specifying the logical link as well as physical link layers of the digital telecommunication channels.
- It is done by the means of a packet switching methodology.
- The frame relay technology has been designed for transportation across the ISDN (integrated services digital network) infrastructure.
- Today, it is used in the context of a number of network interfaces.
- Frame relays are commonly implemented for VoFR (voice over frame relay). - It is used as an encapsulation technique for the data.
- The frame relays are used between the WANs and the LANS.
- A private line or a leased line is provided to the user that connects to the frame relay node.
- The frequently changing path is transparent to the WAN protocols used extensively by the end users.
- Data is transmitted via these networks and the frame relay network handles all this.
- One advantage of the frame relays over the leased lines is that they are less expensive and this is what that makes the frame relays so popular in the telecommunications industry.
- Another advantage of the frame relays over the leased lines that make them popular is that they have user equipment that can be configured with extreme simplicity in the frame relay network.
- The usage of the Ethernet over the fiber optics communication is high.
- This has led to using the frame relay protocol and encapsulation by the dedicated broadband services like DSL and cable modem, VPN, MPLS etc.
- However, there are a number of rural regions in India where there is still an absence of the cable modem and DSL services.
- In such areas, the only option for the non-dial-up connection is the frame relay line of 64 Kbit/ s.
- Thus, it might be used by some retail chain to connect with the WAN of their corporate.
- The aim of the designers of the frame relay is to offer a telecommunication service for transmitting the cost efficient data between the various end points in the WAN and the local area networks in an intermittent traffic.
- The data is put in to units of variable sizes called the frames by the frame relay process.
- The required error correction process is left up to the end points.
- This error correction includes re-transmission of the data.
- This increases the speed of the overall transmission of data.
- A PVC or the permanent virtual circuit is provided by the network so that when a customer looks at a dedicated connection and not having to pay for leased line that is full time engaged.
- The route by which each frame travels to the destined end point is figured out by the service provider and thus he decides the charges based up on the usage.
- A level of the service quality can be selected by the enterprise.
- The frames can be prioritized while the importance of the other frames is reduced.
- The frame relay can run on systems such as the following:
Ø Fractional T – 1
Ø Full T – carrier
Ø E – 1
Ø Full E carrier
- A frame relay provides mid-range services between ATM (asynchronous transfer mode) and the ISDN operating at a speed of 128 Kbps.
- Not only it provides the services, it also complements them.
- The base of the frame relay technology is provided by the X.25 packet switching that has been designed for data transmission over the analog voice lines.